Are you a talented programmer and a team player? Do you enjoy the experience of seeing your software in action and helping our customers? Are you familiar with developing software for scientific (astronomical) instrumentation and/or distributed scientific Monitor and Control systems? Do you want to work in a dynamic international scientific environment? Then you are our new
As a software developer in the Software Delivery group, you will work in the scrum team that builds the software for our new LOFAR stations. After its initial 10 years of operations, the telescopes new stations are the start of an upgrade program that will make LOFAR reach further into space and will open up new science goals. This will create an even larger data stream (till 400 Gbit/s) that must be efficiently managed by the software your team creates. You will work closely together with the teams that produce the hard- and firmware to ensure timely delivery and smooth integration. To facilitate this, we implement the latest frameworks and develop new techniques to handle the data volumes and serve them to our scientific customers. Emphasis is placed on delivering maintainable code, incorporating tests at all levels, and providing appropriate documentation. You will collaborate with scientists and engineers at ASTRON and at European universities and institutes to implement this new functionality and/or support the current software stack.
- More than 5 years relevant experience.
- Python3 programming experience in a Linux environment.
- Experience with developing multiprocess/multi-threaded software.
- Experience with software development and life-cycle maintenance for distributed systems.
- Experience with interpreting and writing ICDs.
- Positive-critical team worker with communication skills towards non-software engineering disciplines as well.
Good to have:
- Proven > 3 years C++11 experience in a Linux environment.
- Experience with developing in Monitor and Control frameworks such as Tango-Controls.
- Experience with relational and time-series database technologies (such as InfluxDB, Postgresql).
- Fluent and with technical writing skills in English.
- Working knowledge of the set-up and deployment of containerized execution environments like Docker or Singularity.
- Worked > 3 years in a Scrum/Agile development environment.
- Proven social skills in the context of forming and acting in a team.
- Positive attitude towards filling the Scrum Master role.
- Full-time 38 hours/ week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of in total 2 years with a possible extension of 1 year based on good performance.
- A gross monthly salary on a full-time basis, in the range of € 2.807 to € 5.196 depending on relevant experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A solid pension scheme (ABP).
- 42 vacation days per year on a full time basis.
- We offer the facilities to grow and develop yourself in this position.
ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, is located just outside Dwingeloo in Drenthe. Its mission is to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen via the development of novel and innovative technologies, the operation of world-class radio astronomy facilities and the pursuit of fundamental astronomical research. ASTRON is committed to increasing its staff diversity, and we are especially interested in applications from women and other traditionally under-represented groups.
With a staff of over 35 personnel, the combined software group at ASTRON is essential to the operation of our current facilities, the extraction of science from those facilities, and the development of new capabilities for the future.
More information about ASTRON can be found on our website www.astron.nl and www.jobsatastron.nl. For more information about this vacancy please contact: Diana Verweij, head of HR, Communications & Support, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can apply for this job by sending your letter and curriculum vitae to ASTRON via the ‘Apply now’ button below. The first closing date is Friday December 4, 2020. Candidates will be considered until the position has been filled.