Are you interested in working at an international scientific institute that combines world-leading research in radio astronomy, operation of state-of-the art observational facilities, and technical development for the next generation of instruments, all in a single stimulating work environment? If this description sounds interesting, we have an immediate opening for a
In this position you will combine in depth knowledge and/or relevant working experience at the forefront of computing. You will have experience with Linux systems and clusters, storage systems, provisioning and maintenance, virtualization and programming. You will be, together with colleagues from the ICT department, responsible for providing high level support to the scientists and engineers within Research & Development, the Radio Observatory and the Astronomy Group.
- Are comfortable with a Unix command line.
- Are familiar with modern file systems, various RAID levels, LVM, snapshots, formulating and executing backup strategies.
- Have experience with a facility with several breeds of Linux installers, PXE boot, Kickstart/Preseed, modern configuration management frameworks.
- Are acquainted with virtualization frameworks, Docker and similar containerization technologies.
- Have knowledge of shell scripting, Python, make and similar build systems, SCM tools.
- Have knowledge of Identity and Access Management, Federated Identity Management.
- Are familiar with performance measurement tools.
- Have knowledge of networking, especially subnets and routing.
- Are capable of managing a group of experienced professionals.
- Can act as substitute for the head of the department.
You have a bachelor and/or master degree in computer engineering or other technical field. You have extensive experience in the field of ICT. You are progressive and innovative and informed about the latest techniques, developments and innovations in the field. You have both social and management skills. Your oral and written skills in Dutch and English are excellent. Preferably, you have had close interactions with both scientists and engineers on high-level ICT solutions in previous jobs.
- Temporary contract for 2 years at first. An indefinite contract may be possible but is based on good performance, the direction of the ICT group and sufficient funding.
- Excellent benefits including pension and paid parental leave.
- We offer flexible conditions of employment, tailored to your personal situation.
- We offer generous relocation expenses and support with finding accommodation.
ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, is located just outside Dwingeloo in Drenthe. Its mission is to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen via the development of novel and innovative technologies, the operation of world-class radio astronomy facilities, and the pursuit of fundamental astronomical research. ASTRON hosts a vibrant research environment with strong technical expertise and influence in the new generation of emerging radio facilities. ASTRON currently develops and operates LOFAR, a new generation low-frequency multi-field aperture array telescope. ASTRON also operates the Westerbork Synthesis Radio Telescope (WSRT) and is developing APERTIF (APERture Tile in Focus), a phased array feed upgrade currently being commissioned at the WSRT that will significantly expand its field of view and enable a new, deep HI survey of the northern hemisphere. As the NL national radio astronomy institute, ASTRON also plays a leading role in several of the consortia contributing to the scientific and technical design of the SKA. The ICT department is responsible for high level ICT support as well as all office related applications and machines. In the coming years the support and expertise will shift more towards cluster related activities. ASTRON also currently hosts JIVE, the Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC.
More information about ASTRON can be found on our website www.astron.nl. For more information about this vacancy please contact Diana Verweij, Head of HR & Communication department, phone: +31 521 595 211 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae via the ‘Apply now’ button below. Applications will be considered until the position is filled; however, the first closing date for applications will be October 6, 2017.