Are you a talented programmer and a team player? Do you enjoy the experience of seeing your software in action and helping our customers? Are you familiar with developing software for scientific (astronomical) instrumentation? Do you want to work in a dynamic international scientific environment? Then you could be our new
Software engineer/developer Science Data Center
As a software developer in the Software Delivery group, you will work in the scrum team that builds the software for our Science Data Center. This is a major new initiative to maximize the scientific impact of ASTRON’s world-leading instrumentation by making data products and analysis tools available to scientists in the most effective ways. We are building tools for storing, indexing and serving hundreds of petabytes of data, for defining and executing advanced data processing pipelines, and for providing accessible, appealing and flexible interfaces and portals to help end users make the most of our data holdings. We aim to do this by making use of cutting-edge technologies and analysis techniques, and by constantly improving our software engineering and team working practices. We value maintainable code, pervasive testing, and solid documentation, and we believe the best way to deliver them is by building strong teams and fostering a congenial and respectful atmosphere. In this role, you will work closely together with the teams that build the software for the telescopes and it is your responsibility to come to a smooth integration. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate with scientists and engineers both within ASTRON and across a variety of European and world-wide development projects and initiatives to implement new functionality and/or support the current software stack.
- More than 5 years relevant experience
- Python 3 programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with software development and life-cycle maintenance for distributed systems
- Enthusiastic team worker
- Strong communication skills towards non-software engineering disciplines
- Fluent and with technical writing skills in English
Good to have:
- Experience with full stack web development (we currently use Django and ReactJS)
- Experience with relational databases and SQL, e.g. Postgres, MySQL
- An understanding of user interface design
- Knowledge of large scale data-management systems, e.g. Rucio
- Experience with developing multi-process/multi-threaded software
- Familiarity with containerized execution environments like Docker or Singularity
- A background in Scrum/Agile or SAFe development environment
- Proven social skills in the context of forming and acting in a team
- Positive attitude towards filling the Scrum Master role.
What we offer:
- Full-time 38 hours/ week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of in total 2 years with a possible extension of 1 year based on good performance.
- A gross monthly salary on a full-time basis, in the range of € 2.807 to € 5.196 depending on relevant experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A solid pension scheme (ABP).
- 42 vacation days per year on a full-time basis.
- We offer the facilities to grow and develop yourself in this position.
ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, is located just outside Dwingeloo in Drenthe. Its mission is to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen via the development of novel and innovative technologies, the operation of world-class radio astronomy facilities and the pursuit of fundamental astronomical research. ASTRON is committed to increasing its staff diversity, and we are especially interested in applications from women and other traditionally under-represented groups.
With a staff of over 35 personnel, the combined software group at ASTRON is essential to the operation of our current facilities, the extraction of science from those facilities, and the development of new capabilities for the future.
More information about ASTRON can be found on our website www.astron.nl and www.jobsatastron.nl. For more information about this vacancy please contact Diana Verweij, Head HR, Communications & Support, e-mail: email@example.com.
How to apply:
You can apply for this job by sending your letter and curriculum vitae to ASTRON via the ‘Apply now’ button below. The first closing date is 28 April 2021. Candidates will be considered until the position has been filled.