We are looking for an enthusiastic physicist or astronomer with a strong background in data analysis and interest in exploring new techniques to study the ionosphere using data from the LOFAR radiotelescope.
Postdoctoral researcher in ionospheric studies using radio astronomical data
You will perform independent research on ionospheric data obtained with the LOFAR radiotelescope.
The LOFAR radio telescope, although primarily designed for radio astronomical research, provides a vast amount of ionospheric information on short timescales and on small to medium spatial scales. The behaviour of the ionosphere holds many open questions, and LOFAR can be transformative in our understanding of this. More research is needed to fully understand the wealth of information that can be obtained, utilizing various techniques as well as performing statistical analysis. Through LOFAR, as a supplier of ionospheric data, ASTRON is part of the Pithia-NRF consortium, a H2020 funded consortium that brings together many European institutes involved in research of the thermo- plasma- and ionosphere. As a postdoctoral researcher at ASTRON you will be working on ionospheric data analysis in this international environment.
- a PhD degree in physics, astronomy or a related discipline (or close to finishing)
- experience in the field of ionospheric research and/or experience with radio astronomy techniques
- publication experience
- good verbal and written communication in English
- strong coding skills (C,C++ matlab or python) is a pre
- Full-time, 38 hours/week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of in total 2 years.
- A salary scale 10 (WVOI) depending on relevant experience, a holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A solid pension scheme (ABP).
- 42 vacation days per year on a full-time basis.
- Employment conditions tailored to your needs (part-time appointment, parental leave, working from home, etc.).
- Opportunities and encouragement to grow and develop yourself and your career.
- Ambitious colleagues driven by collaboration in an international work environment.
- Beautiful premises in the heart of one of Drenthe’s National Parks.
How to apply
You can apply for this job by submitting your curriculum vitae and covering letter via the “Apply button” below. The first closing date is June 15th 2022. Candidates will be considered until the position has been filled.