Are you an experienced Systems Engineer who thrives on complexity? Do you enjoy bringing various disciplines together to deliver a working system with your team? Are you willing to share your knowledge and take systems engineering to the next level at ASTRON? Do you want to work in a dynamic, international, scientific environment? Then you could be our new
We are continuously developing new, cutting-edge instruments for radio astronomy and are working on major upgrades of our current telescopes. As a Systems Engineer, you will oversee the instrument development process. Your activities will include, amongst others, requirements engineering, capturing the architecture, and realizing interface definitions for system integration purposes. You will be responsible for the testing process, formal reviews and stakeholder management.
You will be advising on the most appropriate systems engineering approaches for projects ranging from proof-of-concept developments to major upgrades of our operational instruments, and from single disciplinary to the full integration of hardware, firmware and software. Starting in this position you’ll be partly associated with our Science Data Center development program. This is a major new initiative to maximize the scientific impact of ASTRON’s world-leading instrumentation by making data products and analysis tools available to scientists in the most effective ways. You will work closely with program management and the architecture and software development teams to put in place systems engineering practices ensuring a smooth delivery and acceptance by operations. You will engage with people from all layers of the organisation to inspire them with your vision.
- A strong background in engineering, computer science or natural sciences.
- At least five years’ experience as a Systems Engineer in complex, multidisciplinary projects (combination of software, firmware and hardware).
- Experience with delivering products into operations.
- Experience in working with software development teams.
- Strong communications and motivational skills.
- A flexible and pragmatic attitude, being able to tailor the systems engineering process to the context.
- Enthusiasm to work on further professionalising systems engineering within ASTRON.
Nice to have:
- Experience in working with Agile teams.
- Experience with all phases of the product lifecycle (from inception through development until operations and decommissioning).
- Experience with Polarion.
- Experience with model-based systems engineering.
What we offer:
- Full-time 38 hours/week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of two years with a possible extension to an indefinite contract based on good performance.
- Flexible employment conditions, tailored to your personal situation.
- A gross monthly salary on a full-time basis in the range of € 3.831 to € 5.990 euro, depending on relevant experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A solid pension scheme (ABP).
- 42 vacation days per year on a full-time basis.
- We offer generous relocation expenses and support with finding accommodation.
- We offer the facilities to grow and develop yourself further in this position.
ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy, is located just outside Dwingeloo in Drenthe. Its mission is to make discoveries in radio astronomy happen via the development of novel and innovative technologies, the operation of world-class radio astronomy facilities and the pursuit of fundamental astronomical research. ASTRON is committed to increasing its staff diversity, and we are especially interested in applications from women and other traditionally under-represented groups.
More information about ASTRON can be found on our website www.astron.nl and www.jobsatastron.nl. For more information about this vacancy please contact Diana Verweij, Head HR, Communications & Support, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply:
You can apply for this job by sending your letter and curriculum vitae to ASTRON via the ‘Apply now’ button below. The application deadline is Monday, October 4, 2021.
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated.